Our “Incredible” country India is popularly known for its spices all over the world. As we all know that the main agenda behind the arrival of Europeans in India was trade and the trade of spices was in huge demand in European countries. They use our spices in their dishes for enhancing the flavors and also for use in medicines. If we talk about our country then Indian spices need no introduction at all because our country is the “Land of Spices” where the glory of Indian spices is known all over the country. We Indians are maintaining a top position on the list of the world spice trade.
Indian spices are not only popular for their domestic uses in the kitchen for enhancing the flavors of the dishes but it also has many benefits like health, beauty, etc. Our Indian spices are popularly known for their aromatic fragrance, amazing taste and health benefits, etc. Out of 109 spices listed by ISO, our country produces around 75 spices in its various climate regions. Our country is one of the largest consumers, producers, and exporters of spices all over the world. Here, I am mentioning some of the important facts about Indian spices.
Indian Spices – An Overview
- India accounts for half of the global trading in spices
- Our country produces a total number of 75 of the 109 varieties of spices listed by ISO (International Standards Organization)
- Organic spice farming is gaining prominence in India
- The total value of Indian spices exported is US $4.1 billion for the year 2021-22
- Our country India is the largest producer, consumer, and exporter of spices
- According to the ratio, the biggest buyer of Indian spices was the US, followed by China, Malaysia, the UK, Germany, Saudi Arabia, Thailand, and Sri Lanka.
As we all know that our kitchen is totally incomplete without the presence of a variety of essential spices. Indian spices are not only beneficial for our health but also it has many hidden benefits. Apart from being a special part of the Indian kitchen it is also popularly known for its potential health benefits. Let us discuss amazing facts about Indian spices and their amazing health benefits.
Turmeric is mainly known for giving bright yellow color, flavor, and nutrition to many Indian dishes. Our North Indian cuisines are totally incomplete without the presence of turmeric. It adds a bright yellow color and flavor to the dish. Apart from that Turmeric also has skin-brightening agents and other beauty benefits that’s the reason it is used in Indian weddings. It is said that turmeric is known to purify and cleanse the body of the couple entering the holy matrimony. This spice also has some amazing health benefits that are listed below
- It can increase the antioxidant capacity of the body
- Turmeric may help prevent cancer
- It can be useful in treating Alzheimer’s disease
- It is beneficial against depression
- Turmeric may help delay aging and also fight age-related chronic diseases
- It can be beneficial for your heart and kidney health
- Helpful in Arthritis
- Turmeric can reduce your anxiety
- It can calm down muscle soreness after exercise
Cumin is a kind of spice made from Cuminum plant seeds. This spice is popularly used in every dish in order to add “Tadka” to any cuisine. Cumin is known as “Jira” in Indian households. Cumin seeds are popularly known for their earthy and nutty taste and distinctive flavors in different Indian curries. Apart from having some amazing health benefits cumin is also known for promoting good digestion, promoting weight loss, and reducing food-borne infections. Some of the amazing health benefits of cumin seeds are mentioned below
- It promotes digestion
- It promotes weight loss and fat reduction
- It is a rich source of Iron
- It may help you to treat diabetes
- It contains useful And beneficial plant compounds
- It is proven in clinical studies that it may improve blood cholesterol
Asafoetida is also known as Hing in Indian households. It is basically an oleo gum resin made from the stems of Ferula plants. It is commonly dried and ground into coarse yellow powder and used in dishes for adding flavors and also for medicinal purposes because Asafoetida has many hidden benefits. People use Hing for adding flavors and fragrances to different dishes. Apart from that it is also used in different pickles for enhancing their taste and flavor. Asafoetida is also used as Ayurvedic medicine since the middle ages. Here, some of the important benefits of Hing are mentioned below:
- It is a good source of antioxidant
- Good for digestion
- Helpful in reducing the symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- It has antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial effects
- May help lower blood pressure
- It has anti-cancer effects
- It may help you in curing asthma
- Helpful for brain health
- Helpful in Diabetes
Green Cardamom (Chhoti Ilayachi)
Cardamom is an Indian spice with intense flavor and fragrance. Indian people use green Cardamom in different dishes like biryani, chole, dal fry, kheer, etc. This spice originated in India but it is available worldwide and people use this for preparing both sweet and savory delicacies. Apart from being used in different recipes this spice also contains different health benefits. Here in this blog some of the amazing health benefits of cardamom are mentioned below.
- It has both antioxidant and diuretic properties that may lower the level of blood pressure
- It may protect you from chronic disease because cardamom contains anti-inflammatory properties
- It may contain cancer-fighting compounds
- It can be helpful for your digestive problems
- It may treat the problem of bad breath and prevent cavities
- Cardamom contains antibacterial properties that can be helpful in treating infections
Cinnamon / Classic Bark (Dalchini)
Cinnamon or Classic Bark is a kind of spice that is popularly known as Dalchini in every Indian household. Dalchini or Cinnamon is made from the inner bark of trees that is scientifically known as Cinnamomum. Cinnamon has a unique aromatic fragrance and a unique flavor that makes cinnamon different from other spices. We use this aromatic spice as a superfood used in various dishes such as dal tadka, paneer curries, cakes, flavors, biryani, etc. People use Cinnamon in many Indian dishes in order to increase the flavor and fragrance of the dish. Apart from that it also has some amazing health benefits like
- This spice is great for maintaining the dental hygiene
- Regular consumption of cinnamon may reduce blood pressure
- It helps in maintaining the cholesterol level
- It may help in restoring the balance of bacteria in the gut, it is helpful in maintaining the good digestive system
- It may provide protection against cancer
- This spice has anti-inflammatory effects
- It contains plant compounds with protective anti-oxidant properties
- According to the research, it is said that cinnamon may be protective against colds and flu
Cloves are very popular Indian spices and are popularly known as “Lavang” in every Indian household. Cloves are basically the flower buds of the tree and are native to Indonesia and especially on Maluku Island. We Indians include this spice in different curries, meats, and biryani for adding more flavor and taste to our dishes. Apart from household uses it also has its use in traditional medicine. Cloves also have different health benefits that you must know
- It improves digestion
- It is helpful in treating cough and sore throat
- It can relieve pain and inflammation
- It is a rich source of vitamins A, C, and manganese
- Strong anti-oxidant
- It maintains the level of blood sugar
- It helps in increasing blood flow
- Helpful in curing toothache and mouth pain
- It maintains liver health
Carom seeds (Ajwain)
Carom seeds or “Ajwain needs no introduction in Indian households because every Dal Tadka is totally incomplete without Ajwain. We use Carom seeds in many Indian delicacies for adding aromatic essence in curries and also in different types of pickles. One of the best advantages of carom seeds is that it is very helpful in maintaining the digestive system and increasing the appetite. Here in this blog some of the amazing health benefits of carom seeds are mentioned below:
- It treats the common cold
- It is useful for ear and toothache
- It is helpful for boosting the appetite
- It gives instant relief from acidity and indigestion
- It is good for the liver and kidney
- It helps in the pain of arthritis
- It enhances the flavor of the food
Fennel is also known as “Shunf” in every Indian household. Fennel plants are generally green and white in color with feathery leaves and yellow flowers. The crunchy bulb and seeds of the fennel plant have a mild and pleasant smell and they also taste refreshing. Fennel seeds are also used in mouth fresheners because it tastes refreshing. Fennel seeds have a licorice kind of flavor and the seeds are more potent due to their powerful essential oils.
We use fennel seeds in different Indian cuisine in order to add that unique flavor and fragrance to our food. Our mothers use to add roasted fennel seeds to pickles in order to make them more delicious by adding the pleasant flavor of fennel seeds. Apart from household uses fennel seeds also have some amazing health benefits that are mentioned below
- Beneficial for maintaining a healthy heart
- It contains vitamin C which is important for collagen production and tissue repair, it is beneficial for maintaining healthy skin
- It is a rich source of anti-oxidant
- Rich in anti-inflammatory properties
- Helpful in weight management
- It may improve the symptoms of anemia
Black Pepper (Kali Mirch)
Black pepper is one of the most popular spices commonly used all across the world. This is to let you know that black pepper is known as the king of all spices and has amazing health benefits.
- It boosts metabolism, burns calories, reduces fat accumulation, improves digestion
- Helpful in treating dandruff, and fungal infection and controls hair fall.
- It is helpful in treating cold cough, hoarseness, sinusitis
- It is an excellent source of manganese, vitamins C, A, and B, calcium, and potassium
Ginger is very popular in our country and commonly used in all Indian kitchens. If you want to get into a healthy diet then add ginger to your meal. It is basically warm in nature so it will keep your body warm from the inside during the summer season. We add ginger garlic paste to almost every Indian dish in order to increase the taste of the particular dish. Apart from that ginger also has some amazing health benefits that are mentioned below
- Helpful in maintaining better digestion
- It is helpful in maintaining the immunity
- Helpful in curing nausea and upset stomach
- May help in treating cancer
How to Order Tasty Food on Train?
RailRecipe is an online food ordering platform that allows you to order food for your train journey. Here are the steps to order train food from RailRecipe:
- Visit the RailRecipe website or download RailRecipe mobile app.
- Enter your PNR number or train details to check the availability of food on your train.
- Select the station where you want the food to be delivered and the time of delivery.
- Browse through the menu and select the items you want to order.
- Specify any special instructions or dietary requirements.
- Add the items to your cart and proceed to checkout.
- Choose your preferred mode of payment and make the payment.
- Once the payment is confirmed, you will receive a confirmation message with the order details and the delivery time.
- The food will be delivered to your seat at the specified time.
- Check the food to ensure that it is what you ordered and that it is fresh and hot.
By following these simple steps, you can easily order delicious and fresh IRCTC train food from RailRecipe for your journey.